Re: APT [was Re: Is this really the right thing to do?]

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Jules Bean wrote:

> --On Thu, Dec 3, 1998 11:53 am +1100 "Craig Sanders" <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:
>
> > in short, i'm in favour of tools which summarise package status
> > information and provide various 'views' of the info, with the aim of
> > enabling a system admin to make informed and intelligent decisions.
> >
> > i'm opposed to the notion of automating the decision.
>
> So, presumably, you are not in favour of the current apt-get which
> automatically gets depended packages (and, under some circumstances
> will remove packages too).

you misunderstand.

if i run "apt-get install foo" then I am choosing to install foo
and whatever packages it depends upon and also to remove whatever it
conflicts with.

apt-get will even prompt me if it has to install or uninstall any
packages not mentioned on the command line.

that is a completely different thing to automatically uninstalling
packages simply because the package manager has noticed that nothing
depends upon it.

craig

--
craig sanders