Re: Ian's DFSG2 would harm Debian and Free Software

On 2 Dec 1998, James Troup wrote:

> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
>
> > The DFSG as it is now is a set of guidelines.  The proposed DFSG2 reads
> > like rules. f^ck rules.
>
> You are aware we just overwhelmingly voted in a whole host of rules
> known as the constitution, right?

yes, i am aware of that. i even voted for the constitution (mostly so
that we could avoid any possibility of a repeat of Bruce's various
tantrums and sagas).

that doesn't mean i think that we should replace common sense with
rules in every situation.

> And that the DFSG may be guidelines, but policy is also a set of
> rules and it requires software in main to follow these guidelines
> (effectively making them rules as far as getting software into Debian
> proper is concerned)?

the DFSG as it was written is a simple, plain english set of guidelines.

the proposed DFSG2 struck me as being an offensively officious set of
rules.

rules tend to get my back up which motivates me to look for loopholes
to get around being controlled/limited by them. i think that is a
reasonable and common response to rules.

OTOH, guidelines don't evoke the same contrary reaction.

craig

--
craig sanders