Re: Creation of nfs-client package

On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 01:45:21AM +0100, Anders Hammarquist wrote:
> Package: nfs-server, knfs, sysvinit
>
> In the process of updating the knfs package I realized that rpc.statd should
> be running on the clients (for network locking to work nicely on a 2.1.x
> kernel). Also, there is the problem of showmount being in the nfs-server
> package (it too can be handy on a client). Therefore I propose that we create
> a nfs-client package, consisting of the current /etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh
> script (modified to optionally start rpc.statd). /usr/sbin/rpc.(k)statd,
> showmount, and whatever else is needed to support an NFS client.

I propose the splitting of the nfs packages into several smaller
packages, and then creating a set of 'super packages' which simply
depend or recommend the small packages..

This does have some issues with how to remove them, however there are
currently plans in place on how to handle this.. (apt, etc)

> It's too late to get this done for slink, but we should make sure to get it
> fixed for potato.

I agree with you there..

Zephaniah E, Hull.