Re: XFree86-3.3.3 is really not in slink?

Thanks a lot for your followup.

From: Robert Edmonds <stu@novare.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 07:36:05 -0500 (EST)

> > 	      Virge Chip BUG fix
>               ^^^^^
> 	I have a S3 Virge DX. I am not aware of any bug in my chip.

XFree86-3.3.3 relnote says that

o Fix some lockups with ViRGE chips.

A lockup phenomenon is reported onto debian-users (Japan) mailing
list.  Yes, it is just a little BUG fix though.

> No. I think the risk is rather large: many programs (e.g. xterm) have been
> changed quite a bit. If we put it in slink we will probably have more
> release-critical bugs, take more time to fix them, release slink later and
> more obsoleter...

Well, I am with you at most part.  However, I think we will lose
advantages against another Linux distribution (Suse, Redhat ..) on X.
In particular, A lot newer driver advantages (Mostly tested enough)
would be lost.  Yes, It requires another burden on maintainer of X....

Regards,
	K.Yoshio / Debian JP Project
        mailto:shishamo@osk2.3web.ne.jp
Key fingerprint = 3C 3C 1C E6 B1 65 53 58  A3 B3 6A ED BA E4 54 52