Re: Leadership, effects on Debian and open source community

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 04:08:42PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > This is what I thought, too.  But it currently does not appear so very
> > clearly: I have meat "sure you do" reactions, i.e., the community thinks
> > that we are hypocrites that favour GPL-like things but just pretend
> > otherwise.  The Qt/KDE issue has not helped!  We really need to make some
> > clear and credible statement about this!
>
> I object to the special treatment of KDE.

I agree, to a point.  I believe any license problem should be given a chance
to be resolved by the author in a case in which the author intended things
differently than they are and there's a chance the author might fix the
problem.  Some think the first reaction should always be panic and throwing
a suspect package out.

I agree that KDE was ignored too long.  We fixed it then, and now we will
have a chance for a better fix.  This is GOOD.  However I will have to brain
the first person who suggests we should put KDE back now since they are
fixing the license in the next release.  That would be what you describe and
it should not happen.

> The discussion about removing
> it from Debian took a long time, even though it was clear from the outset
> that the license did not allow us to distribute it. We would not have spent
> so long on other packages.

No we shouldn't have.  Notice as soon as the thread went to -private (which
was my fault amd I'm sure at least someone out there would like to have
strangled me for it) we hit resolution in a few days!

> There is no special place in my heart for KDE like so many people around
> these list seems to have.

Once it and Qt are released under compatible DFSG free licenses, there is a
special place for it.  It's called main, and I will be happy to see
completely free Qt and KDE in it.  I _DO_ object to changing the DFSG now in
a manner that would make a license RMS calls free suddenly not.  I've ranted
about that a few times already.  Those rants have had very little to do with
KDE.  They have to do with redefining "free" more restrictively than even
RMS does and by doing so breaking Debian horribly and making us all the
laughing stock of the Free Software community.

--
Show me the code or get out of my way.