Re: Leadership, effects on Debian and open source community

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 04:08:42PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> I object to the special treatment of KDE. The discussion about removing
> it from Debian took a long time, even though it was clear from the outset
> that the license did not allow us to distribute it. We would not have spent
> so long on other packages.
>
> There is no special place in my heart for KDE like so many people around
> these list seems to have.

KDE consists of (I think) hundreds of developers and is huge compared to
other packages we have yanked.  For that matter, most yanked packages have
simply been put in non-free, not taken out completely as in the case of KDE.
Total elimination is something to be taken seriously and widely discussed.

Also, KDE is a good system.  It's dumb to remove a good system without
trying to rationalize reasons for keeping it :)

Have fun,

Avery