Re: XFree86-3.3.3 has been released

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:

>    It would only be possible if Branden convinced our release manager to grant
>    an exception for the freeze - and it's not clear why he would do that.
>
> User's hardware support...

The newer version will probably be available in potato, which you can
either download yourself, or request a cd vendor to add specially for you
(that is the advantage of vendors who provide custom gold cd's).  We can't
support everyone, and the purpose of the freeze is to stop adding
features/support so that we can fix bugs.  More features and support go in
the next release.  (At least, that's the way I understand it.)

HTH,
Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell * bhmit1@mail.wm.edu * http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/ |
|  Sometimes you have to release software with bugs. - MS Recruiter  |