Re: fsstd and new Debian packages

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Chris Waters wrote:

> Santiago Vila wrote:
>
> > I certainly will not complain, since I also packaged a sort-of
> > cross-compiler called gcc-i386-gnu which install files in /usr/i386-gnu.
> > I don't know of a better solution. This is a known GNU standard for the
> > layout of gcc as a cross-compiler. If the FHS does not say a word about
> > it, then maybe we should add this exception to our policy.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to install in someplace which *doesn't* violate
> policy, i.e. /usr/lib/gcc/i386-gnu, and set up links to, say, /usr/bin
> if needed?

Yes, in this case it is *already* installed in /usr/bin, as "i386-gnu-gcc",
"i386-gnu-g++", etc.

However, there is an established convention of having a symlink
/usr/i386-gnu/bin/gcc pointing to /usr/bin/i386-gnu-gcc too.

The FHS does exist so that we all know where to find things, and
to have things standarized.

In particular, this /usr/<spec>/bin directory is a known standard
for gcc and gcc-derived cross-compilers. Breaking this standard
will not make our system to be more "standard" and will not help
the user to find things more easily.

We have even a well known cross-compiler in the distribution following
this standard: altgcc, for compiling libc5 packages.

Thanks.

--
 "40a73d59b2728f7b74205d454dd8c513" (a truly random sig)