Re: Cluster Administration

"Ward" == Ward Deng <wdeng@KachinaTech.COM> writes:
> Yes. We will. Actually our company has had many discussions since
> two years ago. Making our commitment to Debian was based on the fact
> that Debian has the best foundation of making such clustering
> administration successful. We will see what we can do. We even have
> several internal proposals. For the installation part, we thought it
> should a modified dselect which can be executed in client/server
> mode.

I would highly advise against this.  Building the core of your
infrastructure off of the behavior of a GUI, in particular, a GUI
which is expected to be obsoleted by 2003 (we hope!), does not seem
like robust software design.

The issue of sharing configuration state across many machines can only
be addressed by Wichert/Ian's config mgmt proposal, and much work to
maintainer scripts.

The issue of managing a shared OS which is shared by an OS server, I
propose, can be solved completely orthangonally to the config
mgmt issue.

Ward, I do a lot of software architecting for a living.  I'd love to
work with you to review your plans.  Getting the plan right makes all
the difference..