Re: Debian (and RedHat) source package format (was Re: Qt and other)

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:
> You put normal (binary package) dependancies in the spec file. I've not seen
> source dependancies in spec files, and I see nothing in the rpm
> documentation about it.
>
> Hm, since srpm's are just rpm's, I guess they could have dependancies,
> though..

Frankly, almost every source dependency is of the form "to compile this
source you need that binary package".  Sometimes, in debian's case,
they'd be -dev packages, but that's not an exception to the general case.

In fact, I think that any exceptions to this general case should be
classified as a bug.  [Yeah, you have to work around this issue for
bootstrapping a new os, but bootstrapping is a tangential issue.]

--
Raul