Re: glibc recompiling was Re: libc resolver problem solved (critical bug)

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> My inclination is to "move along" to the new libraries ASAP, rebuilding
> those packages that were built with -5. Any other step looks like lost
> ground that will eventually have to be covered, so why not do it now?

As I noted in one of my previous posts, please add a conflict against
current libstdc++ because this new libc will break all c++ apps linked
against libstdc++2.9 (i'm not sure if it is just the library or the apps
too :( ), like apt, dselect, etc...
And please add conflicts to broken dpkg and apt too so we dont get a
broken package management system. I guess then these packages will have to
be compiled with dpkg from hamm.

And please remove the version information from the .shlibs file, it will
no longer be needed, and this will help to identify the packages compiled
against the wrong libc... all of those will probably have to be recompiled
:( who is going to submit the bugreports ?

So the idea should be: you compile this libc, someone compiles egcs with
stuff from hamm, so we get a working libstdc++, then dpkg and apt.
Needs coordinated work...

Btw, CC goes to Brian, because this is a very serious release issue...

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/