Re: run-parts for /etc/profile?

>The problem here is that the admin said "no" and did not follow up to see
>what had changed in the file.  Is it so difficult for the admin to set
>off his changes between a set of comments, which he can use as a guide
>to update the file when this situation occurs?  I definitely prefer this
>method to having a set of unknown scripts hack up my config file in the
>background without my knowledge.

Well, it would work like this:
 0. Ask the one who installs the mailer daemon does he wish to
   proceed this way, default action no.
 1. check if the aliases has some control comment (for information to the
   one that will edit the file afterwards), like
   # Debian system aliases. Don't touch this and next XX lines!
   and it it does not, insert at the beginning.
 2. check if after that control comment there is 'postmaster: root'
   and if its not there or anywhere else in the file, insert after the
control
   comment (and delete other mentionings, for consistency).
 3. execute no.2 for every alias that is in the defaults list.

I don't see why not.