Re: glibc recompiling was Re: libc resolver problem solved (critical bug)

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:

> The safe way to avoid troubles, IMHO, is to upload minor revisions of dpkg/apt
> linked statically and ask peoples to upgrade. Then just say week before release
> reupload shared version and we'll be fine...

I don't see the point. I just checked, and programs built against 2.0.7u-6
run just fine in a system with the "broken" 2.0.7u-5 libraries installed.

This means that a new dpkg compiled against the -6 libraries will run on a
system with the -5 libs installed, and can then be used to upgrade glibc.
With a conflicts in the new glibc, this will work smoothly. We can then
determine which other programs don't run, and recompile them.

All of the proposed "extra" steps are unnecessary.

Luck,

Dwarf