Re: glibc recompiling was Re: libc resolver problem solved (critical bug)

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:

> The safe way to avoid troubles, IMHO, is to upload minor revisions of dpkg/apt
> linked statically and ask peoples to upgrade. Then just say week before release
> reupload shared version and we'll be fine...

I don't see the point. I just checked, and programs built against 2.0.7u-6
run just fine in a system with the "broken" 2.0.7u-5 libraries installed.

This means that a new dpkg compiled against the -6 libraries will run on a
system with the -5 libs installed, and can then be used to upgrade glibc.
With a conflicts in the new glibc, this will work smoothly. We can then
determine which other programs don't run, and recompile them.

All of the proposed "extra" steps are unnecessary.