Re: glibc recompiling was Re: libc resolver problem solved (critical bug)

On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 09:37:06 -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> If there are no reasonable objections I will upload a fixed version by the
> end of the day.

I've just done a quick test of what libraries are affected on my system
 	find /lib /usr/lib -name '*so*' | xargs nm --dynamic \
		--undefined-only --print-file-name | \
	grep 'register_frame_info' | sed -e 's/:.*//' | sort | uniq
and found
	/usr/lib/libpkg.so.0
	/usr/lib/libpkg.so.0.0.0
in there. If I understand things correctly, this means that installing a
fixed libc6 will break dpkg 1.4.0.31 , which is unacceptable.

A similar test for binaries, shows "apt-get" to be affected.

I'd like to propose the following approach:
- fork of a libc6-fixed package which installs in a different location than
  /lib (e.g. /lib/fixed), and provide a matching libc6-dev.
- Identify which other packages besides dpkg and apt  that are likely to be
  essential for many people have versions that depend on
  (un)register_frame_info symbols, and recompile all of them.
- Then fix the regular "libc6" package, and make it have explicit
  Conflicts: with the problematic versions.

Ray
--
Tevens ben ik van mening dat Nederland overdekt dient te worden.