Re: Qt license change

<aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu>(Alex Yukhimets) writes:

> I think that GPL'd libraries are NOT FREE. (Even in DFSG
> sense). QPL'd libary is not free for the same reason.

They are free in the DFSG sense.

ie. GNU readline is GPL'd, and so is Cygnus' cygwin32 stuff.

Personally, I too have a few problems with this - it means that
proprietary developers have to be careful about what libraries we use.

When we wrote the DFSG, this was debated at length.  The DFSG
represents a compromise.  Consider Debian to be "infected" by the GPL,
and proud of it.  I don't think we want to reopen the DFSG and the
debate.

Anyways, people can always use FreeBSD, OpenBSD or NetBSD if they
really want a distribution which has no restrictions on proprietary
use in the core.

Cheers,

 - Jim