Re: Intent to package Moscow ML

On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 05:34:12AM +0100, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I am studying computer science and we are working with a language called ML
> (Meta Language) there. I found out that there is a Debian package in hamm
> which is called ocaml - the Objective Caml System. But it uses an entirely
> different syntax than that I am used to.
>
> So I decided to package it for my private use. I would like to contribute
> (first I have to get my developer status ;) and get it into "our" distribution
> (up to now it is your distribution).
>
> So I looked at the web and found Moscow ML, which is quite close to what we
> use at the university. Moscow ML is free so it can go into main. Here is my
> control-file:
>
> Source: mosml
> Section: devel
> Standards-Version: 2.5.0.0
> Maintainer: Torsten Landschoff <t.landschoff@gmx.net>
>
> Package: mosml
> Architecture: i386
> Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
>  a strict functional language widely used in teaching and research.
>  .
>  It is based on the Caml Light system, which gives fast compilation and
>  modest storage consumption.

since ocaml (and i suppose caml-light also) have a license that is almost
debian-friendly, the only problem is that they don't allow for binary
distribution of modified work, and thus it is not really possible to make
debian package out of it (altough the authors don't consider debianizing as a
modification of the work). What is the license of Moscow  ML ? since it is a
derivative, it should be similar to ocaml.

beside that ocaml is a ML dialect that has decided to continue to evolve when
the SML standard was set, and thus is a bit more evolued.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER