Re: A Proposal to solve the non-US problem.

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Chris Leishman wrote:

> Instead of symlinks we could just have various differing sections (eg, debian,
> debian-us, debian-fr, or whatever other way you want to break it down), and
> each distro only includes the files appropriate too it.

Ok, we can't use symlinks to a directory that stores all the files because
of mirroring problems.  We also shouldn't use the above solution because
we will have one deb in multiple directories, resulting in multiple copies
(mirror bloat).  Admittedly, you can have a directory with unrestricted
debs, but I think there is enough on non-us to make this a problem.  I
wish I could think of the perfect solution now, but I can't.

The only thing I can think of is to muck around with the filename, and the
mirrors can add an exclude tag for "[NonUS]".  But this get's ugly.  The
restrictions line in the package file is nicer, I just wish you could
mirror it.

Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell * bhmit1@mail.wm.edu * http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/ |
|  Sometimes you have to release software with bugs. - MS Recruiter  |