Re: A Proposal to solve the non-US problem.

On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 10:37:36AM -0500, Brandon Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Chris Leishman wrote:
>
> > Instead of symlinks we could just have various differing sections (eg, debian,
> > debian-us, debian-fr, or whatever other way you want to break it down), and
> > each distro only includes the files appropriate too it.
>
> Ok, we can't use symlinks to a directory that stores all the files because
> of mirroring problems.  We also shouldn't use the above solution because
> we will have one deb in multiple directories, resulting in multiple copies
> (mirror bloat).  Admittedly, you can have a directory with unrestricted
> debs, but I think there is enough on non-us to make this a problem.  I
> wish I could think of the perfect solution now, but I can't.
>
> The only thing I can think of is to muck around with the filename, and the
> mirrors can add an exclude tag for "[NonUS]".  But this get's ugly.  The
> restrictions line in the package file is nicer, I just wish you could
> mirror it.

Ok...what about something like .robots (used with web sites to control search
engines, etc)?  Of course this would require modifing the mirroring
software...  However this could be nice anyway, that way we could have a
mirror control file (and any particular mirror could control downstream
mirrors).

Just more ideas.....

Chris

(Hey...anyone feel like going back through this MEGA-thread an extracting all
the various ideas/proposals into a bit of a summary?  I would, but I should be
studying for exams...)

REALITY.SYS corrupted: Reboot universe? (Y/N/Q)   ....Debian GNU/Linux
Reply with subject 'request key' for PGP public key.  KeyID 0xA9E087D5