A Proposal to solve the non-US problem.

Hi folks,

I'm not sure if I have already sent this idea to this list (I was
replying to Joey, and while this list and I got a reply I haven't
seen my message here; maybe I forgot to CC it, if not please excuse
me).

Basically, for the time being I will be satisfied just by splitting
non-US in non-US/{main,contrib,non-free}, but in the future I think we
should arrange to:

  - move master outside the US: while a perfect country (from a legal
  stand point) to host it isn't likely to exist, the States are
  obviously less suited to this task than other countries, like UK,
  FI, IT, and so on;

  - have main include every DFSG free package and create `ports' for
  problematic country, like US, FR, DE (with respect to Doom like
  stuff), and so on: basically those ports should be directory trees
  containing only those symlinks to {main,contrib,non-free} packages
  allowed to exist on the mirrors and CD of that country;

  - let the maintainers specify if their packages are restricted in
  any country (just like they now specify if they are non-US) by mean
  of a `Restricted:' header in the control file, to be used like
  `Restricted: FR, US'; our distribution software could then
  automatically put the packages in {main,contrib,non-free} (just as
  now) and make the symlinks in every `port' not listed in that
  header.

This looks simple from a logic point, I hope it's also not too
complicated in practice.

Thanks,

--
Davide G. M. Salvetti - IW5DZC [JN53fr] - <http://salve.home.ml.org/>