Re: Several glibc problems...

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 13:09:38 -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> It is time to get all of the developers involved in the several glibc
> problems that I have been unable to grapple with.

Could it be that one of these problems is responsible for the mozilla
coredumps?

> 1. glibc 2.0.7
> 2. glibc 2.1
> 3. kernel headers
>
> 1. glibc 2.0.7

Perhaps this needs to be coordinated in an even broader context, involving
Red Hat and Ulrich Drepper. Linux is now reaching a point where we should
need to get rid of this type of "unstable foo needs unstable bar, which
needs unstable baz" relationships (which remind me too much of the libc5
time actually).

> 3. kernel headers

> Should we consider producing a release with a "development" kernel?

This is difficult. My gut feeling is "no". I know that there are few (if
any) technical reasons for it; the 2.1.x series is approaching 2.2 (though
nobody knows when exactly).

I'd rather release with a known broken glibc (as a "developer release"), if
we can provide clear documentation on the impact of the problems.

Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may
jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl      | not be a better one than the one the blocks