Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

On 15 Nov 1998, James Troup wrote:

> > > master, ftp.debian.org and other US mirrors are mirrored all over
> > > the world.
> >
> > Main is not the same thing as ftp.debian.org or the USA mirors.
>
> Hello?  Can we please limit this discussion to reality, and not what
> might be going on in an alternate reality?  master.debian.org *is* the
> location of main and it *is* in the USA; it's been this way for years
> now and is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

Yes, but main is also just simply put, "served" from master. main is a
selection of packages available for the Debian/GNU Linux distribution.
This does not mean main is master. master is not main. etc...

> I don't care what you want to call main, but I define main as
> debian/dists/{unstable,frozen,stable}/main/.

ditto... I noticed you did not add the site at the begginning?

> > > If we put crypto software into main, we will be responsible for
> > > several mirrors unwittingly violating US export laws.
> >
> > No.  Putting crypto software into main does not mean moving the
> > packages to USA-based servers.
>
> Jesus wept, it so does.  If I upload a package to main; it goes to
> master (USA) and then to ftp.debian.org (USA) and from there to non-US
> mirrors.

What you dont comprehend James, is that the non-US mirrors do not have to
have separate non-US hierachies to distribute the packages. They could be
incorporated into main, and be available to users who reference those
servers. If US citizens have to get non-US packages, they can go to these
sites, and download them. I realise that that is difficult, because those
packages are mingled with all the other main packages, but a solution
could be found. something to do with a directive in /etc/apt/sources.list
for example. "deb-non-us ftp://....."; which will get a different packages
file for the non-US packages on the site. These could be identified by a
"non-US: [yes/no]" line in the control file.

> > > However lame we think the laws may be, deliberately inducing other
> > > people to unknowingly break the law is not something we should
> > > *ever* contemplate doing.
> >
> > But this is not being contemplated.
>
> It *is* as long as people continue to talk about putting crypto
> software in main.

In main as it is stored on master yes, In main on mirrors outside the US,
no.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

            "Bother," said Pooh, as he was assimilated by the Borg.