Re: debian binary diff system ?!

On Son, 15 Nov 1998 Joey Hess wrote:
>Tom Lees wrote:
>> The best way to do it would be to unpack the data.tar.gz,
>> and do an xdelta on the individual files. Also do a "diff" on the
>> date/time/permissions/owner of the files. control.tar.gz is so small
>> you might as well copy it verbatim.
>That's not necessary. Xdelta recognises debian packages and manually unpacks
>them prior to running binary diffs on them. The deltas between 2 versions of
>a package seem to run to about 10% of the original package size using xdelta.
Yes, but that doesnt help us. To use the method of Xdelta, the user needs to
have the old debian package on his system, which isn't the case normally. We
need the deltas of every individual file, so that we can patch the binaries
directly instead of patching a complete debian package.

How can we make xdelta to compare directories and create deltas for every file
it finds and also add files that are new as deltas?? any suggestions?? or is
there a better suited program for this somewhere?

Kai

--
Kai Duebbert

e-Mail: kad@gmx.de , duebbert@informatik.tu-muenchen.de