Re: debian binary diff system ?!

Kai Duebbert <kad@gmx.de> writes:

> Yes, but that doesnt help us. To use the method of Xdelta, the user needs to
> have the old debian package on his system, which isn't the case normally.

The old and new packages could be on the ftp site, and then "apt" or
whatever would just need to know what version you have currently.  Then it
could take the diffs remotely, and you the diff.

This obviously is a solution that has some problems.  First, will the ftp
site really always have every version of every package ever available?
Probably not.  I guess we could change the ftp site to ONLY contatin binary
diffs of packages since the last major release.  Then maybe it would work.

The other problem if we're keeping whole .debs as now would be that the
remote server would have to be running some software to generate the diffs
remotely.  Maybe site admins would be willing to run some special upgrade
daemon if it would cut back on the net badnwidth, but I kind of doubt.

Actually storing the binary diffs in the archive seems like an interesting
idea to me.

Later,
	Dale
--
| Dale E. Martin |  Clifton Labs, Inc.  |  Senior Computer Engineer    |