Re: Question on a copyright

On Sun, 15 November 1998 14:19:48 -0600, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
> > As I read this paragraph this only applies to a bundle of a commercial
> > product with Diablo. This is clearly not the case, I think, depending
> > on whether Debian considers its distribution commercial.
>
> The Debian project itself is not commercial, but that is irrelevant.  The
> DFSG is about the rights of all users, including any who choose to
> redistribute commercially.

So it's the CD distributors (the commercial ones) having the trouble, right?

> > It's worded rather strangely, but as I read it it gives me all rights
> > to distribute and modify the source to make it work for Debian.
>
> But it discriminates against commercial vendors by requiring them (and them
> alone: you are free to use the code in gratis Windows programs) to market
> Linux and BSD versions of derivatives and telling them what they can charge
> for those versions.  This license is not free.

I got an email from Matt saying this:

--->
    It's my anti-microsoft and pro-free-OS copyright.  It means that
    if you use the Diablo *source* code to produce your own commercial product,
    which you sell, the copyright requires that you have to sell a version
    of that product for one of the Free OS's (i.e. linux or FreeBSD) as well
    as whatever OS you are targetting.

    So, for example, if Microsoft wanted to use pieces of the Diablo code
    to produce some product XXX for windows, they would also be required to
    produce that product XXX for Linux or FreeBSD.
<---

Argh. That's how I read the license, too.
Any chance that including this in the copyright file will suffice?

Again, the old and new license I've kept here:
http://home.pages.de/~efraim/copyright.1 (and .2)

Alexander

--
Tech support is a fine art which, once mastered, virtually ensures
loss of sanity. Joe Thompson <joe@cstone.net>