Re: Intent to package snarf

On Fri, Nov 13, 1998 at 04:20:00AM -0800, Joel Klecker wrote:

> snarf is a utility that "snarfs" files from HTTP, FTP, or gopher sites. Its
> main advantage is that it is quite featureful and also very small. This
> should make it useful for enabling the install disks to fetch the base
> tarball from HTTP or FTP (the main reason I'm packaging it).

I actually used to maintain Snarf for Debian.  However, the package was
rather buggy, and there have been other packages that have appeared since
then that do the job that Snarf does, only better.  There didn't seem to be
much upstream interest to fix these things.  (Again, if memory serves).

That said, the last version of snarf to get packaged for Debian was 1.12-1
on January 16, 1997.  I still have my old package with the changelog (two
whole entries!) if you want it.  Snarf was originally packaged on Oct 11,
1996 by Christoph Lameter (version 1.0-1).

If you want to repackage snarf, I'd suggest two things:

1. Check it out carefully.  Try it with "Strange" URLs and see what happens.

2. Check to see if it has new features since version 1.12 that other
   Debian packages do not.

I'm not interested in packaging it anymore, so if you want to go ahead, feel
free, but I should send you the original changelog and there should be a
note about what happened to it.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
Visit the Air Capital Linux Users Group on the web at http://www.aclug.org