Re: Cluster Administration

"Stephen J. Carpenter" <sjc@delphi.com> writes:

> Configuration is another matter...that could be kind of delicate...
>
> Perhaps we need a way to specify configuration files which contain host
> specific information...
> for instance... /etc/profile generally can be shared between machines (In
> fact I would dare say that would be prefered), but possibly /etc/exim
> shouldn't be,.... /etc/hostname no way...

This is one of the biggest obtacle for cluster maintainance IMHO. In
the FHS, user is nicely divided in host specific/arch
specific/unspecific stuff. Unfortunately, /etc is NOT, although that
would be VERY nice.

What would you think of having a special directory for
non-host-specific data like profile, e. g. /etc/share? Probably also
an arch-specific one. This would solve many problems. It would be
incompatible with the FHS, but I think the advantages do outweigh
that.

	Falk