libjpeg.so.62 may conflict libjpeg.so.6a

Hello,

I call gcc with the following options and libs:

gcc -O2 -Wall -pedantic  -o paul paul.o <some other *.o's> \
 -lgdk_imlib `gtk-config --libs` -ljpeg -ltiff <some other libs>

This causes the following warning:

ld: warning: libjpeg.so.62, needed by /usr/lib/libtiff.so, may conflict
with libjpeg.so.6a

when I have installed libjpegg-dev.  If I install libjpeg62-dev
I get instead

ld: warning: libjpeg.so.6a, needed by /usr/lib/libgdk_imlib.so, may
conflict with libjpeg.so.62

and while running the program gives the warning

Wrong JPEG library version: library is 62, caller expects 61

What the hell is the use of these different beasts (libjpeg[6a/6b/62])
and what should I use?  Except the boring warnings all works well.

Kind regards

       Andreas.