Re: Use of Debian revision in an upstream-maintained Debian package

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 09:01:08PM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:

> There's a real use for a Debian revision even when there is no
> separate Debian packager for the piece of software.  Since people do
> make mistakes, a given Debian packaging may have mistakes.  When they
> are corrected, and this is the only change to the piece of software,
> there's no need to advance the upstream version: if fact doing that
> will make non-Debian people falsely believe there's been some changes
> that are relevant to them, too.

This hasn't actually happened, but with my wvdial package (for which I'm the
maintainer and one of the upstream authors) I just number without a debian
revision.  If I do make a packaging error (which hasn't happened yet -- I'm
obviously a genius :)) I will _add_ a revision if necessary.  For example:

	1.10 okay
	1.20 oops, packaging bug
	1.20-1 fixed packaging bug

Seems to work.