Re: Cluster Administration

On 9 Nov 1998, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> In article <[🔎] m0zcmrE-0007ziC@ralf.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>, Rainer Dorsch <rainer@ralf.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:
> > We have here a cluster of 30 SUN UltraSparcs and I am looking
> > forward to see Debian UltraLinux. A major concern I have about Linux
> > on UltraSparc is, that it seems to be difficult to keep on all the
> > workstations exactly the same configuration and sharing diskspace
> > using NFS.
>
> > Currently, Debian package management is sufficient for a single
> > workstation, but insufficient for a cluster. This problem has to be
> > addresses sooner or later, if you want to run Debian on a
> > workstation cluster.
>
> > Maybe the Debian UltraLinux developers could try to find a solution
> > for this problem, in the time they are waiting for Sparc64 support
> > for egcs (this is a multiplatform problem and can be addressed on
> > intel machines).
>
> Utterly agree.
>
> Here's some brainstorming.  Instead of waiting for the grand-unified
> automated maintainer script solution (which would take about a year to
> complete, assuming we can agree on the design), why not do the
> following:

How about a crude-ish hack:

set up one box completely.
dpkg --get-selections >>foo
make the entire /etc/ heirarchy available to the workstations
dpkg --set-selections < /server/wherever/foo
dpkg --unpack -GROEB /path/to/debian/dist

over-write the /etc/ heirarchy
then --pending--configure.

perhaps dpkg needs hacking to be non-interactive if it finds the config
file already there - maybe add a --non-interactive option?

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Selwyn College Computer Support