Re: Exim & cron

In article <[🔎] 19981109011212.B15436@ormond.unimelb.edu.au>, Chris Leishman <masklin@debian.org> writes:
> I just installed exim, and I noticed that it puts an entry in
> /etc/cron.d/exim, which runs exim -q every 15 minutes.  This runs
> the mail queue every 15 min.  However, the /etc/init.d/exim files
> starts exim with -q30m (which sets exim to run the queue every 30min
> - but could easily be changed to 15).

> Is it really necessary to have both?  Or am I missing something?

No, it's not necessary, or even good.

Are you sure it shipped this way?

Generally, users set exim to run from inetd and from cron.  The inetd
exim accepts incoming mail on port 25, and the cron job flushes the
outgoing queue every fifteen minutes.

I thought by default exim ran from inetd.  Near the top of my
/etc/init.d/exim, I find:

  # Usually this is disabled and exim runs from /etc/inetd.conf
  exit 0