Re: PostgreSQL 6.4

Craig Sanders wrote:
  >how about two new packages:
  >
  > "libpgsql6.4" for the new postgres library, and "libpgsql6.3" for the
  > old.
  >
  >libpgsql6.3 should have a "Provides: libpgsql" (as well as Conflicts:
  >and Replaces:). this should ensure a smooth upgrade (at least as far as
  >the libraries are concerned).

I'm checking upstream to see whether the two versions can co-exist.

  >BTW, is the 6.4 file format compatible with 6.3? or will we have to dump
  >and restore our databases again?

A dump-and-restore is required.

If this is a problem, it may be possible to get round it by fixing the
template1 tables by hand; that's not something I'm going to attempt,
however!

     "Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD; and the
      fruit of the womb is his reward."        Psalms 127:3