Re: CD Creation Tool

Hi,

> This alone is not accepted as reason for being faster.  It just shows your
> dislike of make.

No... Both are features... it's fast _and_ there are no Makefiles... :)))

I don't dislike make... But I don't use it for programming scripts...

It's really okay for the purpose it was built for ...

       The purpose of the make utility is to determine  automati-
       cally  which  pieces  of a large program need to be recom-
       piled, and issue the commands  to  recompile  them.

But I don't use it for creating cd's :)))

And perl is _really_ easy to modify I think... (What do you think??)

> How fare have you gone?

hmmm... It's able to create cd's for all architectures (but it works only on
a filesystem (also nfs) but it's not able to create cd's off an http or ftp
server...)

> That's something we don't know currently.  Can you provide me with the
> current snapshot of your tool?  Perhaps r/o access to your CVS repository?

Think that's possible in a few days when we have applied all modifications
we want to make to the program and we create a CVS repository ...

(because it started one night when we wanted to create a debian-alpha
cd-rom... :))) so it wasn't really important to have a cvs repository until
now... and it's stored on 3 different computers and we have to put the
together and import it to the cvs repository...)

> This comes to my mind as requirements:

thanks for these things. If you have some other ideas please let us know!!
We are very interested in these things!!

>   . Different configuration files for cd-roms
>   . Automatic creation of directories, links
>   . Copying / hardlinking of files
>   . Creation of Packages and Packages.cd files
>   . Maybe creation of Contents- files
>   . Creation of additional files
>   . Splitting the distribution according to some to-be-defined rules
>   . Correct handling of binary-$arch and binary-all dirs
>   . Multiarchitectuer
>   . Ways to create botable cd's / not-bootable ones
>   . Ways to create cd nr. n from the whole set of m cd's
   . Creating cd's from an http or ftp server (?)
   . Reading the different cdrom sizes from a file (the user only tells
     the program which cd he uses...)

What we need:

    . rules for "official" debian standard cd-roms
    . A general installation procedure which installs from multiple
      mediums I think. Because it'd be possible then to install from DVD,
      ZIP, or JAZ then...

don't know more at the moment. Please mail all your comments and ideas to
me.

cu,
  gerhard