Re: Call for lawyers: GPL Intelectual property protection

Hamish Moffatt writes:
> Even if the software is GPL, you as author have the right to issue it
> also under another license, and they could force you to do that.

He has no right to issue it at all.  He has assigned that right to
Microsoft.

The contract does not apply to the work that he has already done, of
course: Just to any he does while employed by Microsoft.

> IANAL but I'd be surprised if this is even legal!

It's a straightforward contract, though one I would never sign.

> Surely Microsoft would have to provide something -- equipment, time,
> money, ideas or training...

They are providing something: his salary.  With it, they are buying the
rights enumerated in the contract.

> ...they can't just steal your every thought that happens to be about
> computers.

They aren't stealing anything.  He gets money and they get rights.  It's a
contract.  If he doen't like it he needn't sign it.  I wouldn't.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)