Re: /USR/BIN/CRON

On Wed 28 Oct 1998, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> I wrote:
> > There is something more powerful than policy at work here: Unix tradition.
> > Cron has *always* done this.
>
> Paul Slootman writes:
> > On what systems? I can't recall seeing this (on all sorts of SV systems).
>
> My possibly defective memory tells me that System III did it.  I am certain
> that Vixie cron always has.  The original cron stays lower case: it's the
> children that upcase.  I imagine that the purpose is to make it easy to
> distinguish the children from the parent.

Ah, it wasn't clear to me that we were talking about the children of the
main cron here; AFAIR it was stated "cron uppercases its argv[0], and has
always done this", and I couldn't find any evidence to back this up.

For the record: it's fine with me if cron uppercases argv[0] of its
children.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org