Re: Skipping the slink freeze and work on Debian 2.2 instead

On Fri, Oct 30, 1998 at 11:06:07AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> I'm getting frustrated about the freeze of slink that didn't take
> place yet.

> The following list of packages depends on ncurses3.4 which has been
> replaced by libncurses4 or something like that.

Recompiling them should be enough in the large majority of cases. One could
argue that being linked against an older version of a library should be
considered an "important" bug, which makes it possible for recompiled
versions (be they MU or NMU) to go into frozen.

> It will take quite a while to fix and test all these packages before we
> can release slink.  Therefore we should consider to skip the slink release
> or make the darn freeze *now* and work on fixing these packages without
> introducing more instabilities.

My vote is for freezing now. Whether it is achieved by the release engineer
and the FTP administrator implementing the technical freeze, or by a request
(to -devel-announce) to all the maintainers to freeze voluntarily, I don't
particularly care. Abandoning our intent to work towards a release now is
IMO a very bad thing to do. After the hamm release, there was a great deal
of agreement we should move towards shorter release cycles. It's painfully
obvious we're having teething problems with that. That doesn't mean we
should give up our commitment.

POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.