Re: Several questions to sgml-tools

On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 04:46:18PM -0700, John Lapeyre wrote:
> 	I can't understand this thread, because I am not familiar with the
> terms and issues.  If I want to write docs, in particular for debian, what
> form should the source take?   latex , sgml, ?

Any form you find yourself comfortable with is okay, preferably one
that can be converted to many other forms automatically.  SGML is
superior in this respect, but it is not the only choice.

Here's a brief summary of the terms:

+ A DTD is a specially formatted file that describes the syntax of a
  document source file.

+ A style sheet is a specially formatted file that describes how a
  document should be typeset.

A DTD and a style sheet together are more or less equivalent to a
LaTeX document class.

> I find latex is ok, because I can generate postscript , plain text,
> and html,

How do you generate plain text from LaTeX?

        Antti-Juhani
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho A7 <gaia@iki.fi> ** <URL:http://www.iki.fi/gaia/> **

                       The FAQ is your friend.