Re: kernel-source-2.0.35_2.0.35-2.deb

Hi,
>>"Hamish" == Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

 Hamish> Can someone summarise the arguments for and against the
 Hamish> change?

 a) dpkg not designed for sources (whatever that means), and it can't
    remove the package cleanly if there are extraneous files there
    (inevitable when you build a package there)
 b) Removing package may remove any changes made locally, like
    patches, etc, and config data.
 c) Takes up more disk space, and there is nthing the user can do
    about that. Shipping a tarball means that the user may untar it in
    a partition of choce, and remove the unpacked sources at will.
 d) Less name spave pollution in /usr/src (no longer takes up dir
    names that users tend to use oersonally when they download kernels
    on their own).

 Hamish> but I do use pcmcia-source and it works perfectly as-is.

	Why do you think that shipping a tar ball would detrimentally
 affect the way it ``works''?  Could you elucidate the technical (as
 opposed to "I like it the other way") reasons that shipping a tar
 ball is less effective?

	manoj
--
 "There is no doubt I should be tarred and feathered."  Richard Sexton