Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:18:43 -0600
From: feldt@mail.nhn.ou.edu (Andy Feldt)
To: linuxusers@mail.nhn.ou.edu
Subject: security bug!

Linux users:

You should take action on this as soon as possible:

3) BUFFER OVERFLOW VULNERABILITY IN MOUNTD (10/12/98)

Some request logging implementations of NFS servers exhibit a vulnerability.
The vulnerability lies in the software on the NFS server that handles
requests to mount file systems.  This program is usually named "mountd"
or "rpc.mountd". Malicious users who exploit the vulnerability are able
to gain root access to the vulnerable NFS file server. This vulnerability
can be exploited remotely and does not require an account on the target
machine.  For further information can be found at:
	http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-98.12.mountd.html

Andy

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Thomas E. Vaughan                            vaughan@mail.nhn.ou.edu
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy                 home: (405) 366-8721