Re: Large-scale debian installation, request help

On Wed, Oct 28, 1998 at 06:57:00PM +0530, Ganesan Rajagopal wrote:
> I need to install Debian on about 50 intel machines with very different
> hardware configurations (386/8MB/40MB to pentium/32MB/1.2 GB, different
> network cards). All these machines need to have an identical
> configuration. I would like IP addresses to be assigned automatically using
> DHCP.

I have no experience in large-scale installation so I cannot assist
you there unfortunately. However, would you consider bootp instead of
DHCP? BOOTP is more Unix-native (DHCP is a Microsoftism). Admittedly
DHCP has some nice extensions to BOOTP, however since BOOTP always
matches IP addresses to hardware (Ethernet) addresses, I think administration
may well be easier. That is, BOOTP does not dynamically assign addresses
from a pool, while DHCP does by default.

DHCP is well suited when using Microsoft servers or Microsoft clients,
but I would personally prefer BOOTP in a Unix-only environment.

Also I am anti-Microsoft. :-)

Hamish