Re: nist time package

On Tue, Oct 27, 1998 at 12:02:22PM -0600, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> Daniel Martin writes:
> > Well, it seems a bit like overkill.  There's already netdate in the
> > netstd package, which sets the time by a telnet/udp query to port
> > 37. (which is much easier to parse than the results of port 13) Much
> > lighter-weight than the ntp protocol, and at least as accurate as the
> > idea of telnetting to port 13.
>
> What host?  I used to get the time from tick and tock at the Naval
> Observatory, but they are no longer accessible and my ISP's clock is
> wrong. I'm using xntp now, but that is ridiculous overkill.

I use timelord.cs.uregina.ca, but I'm in Canada :)

Visit the Directorate of Time at the U.S. Naval Observatory (am I the only
one who finds those names funny?) -- they have lots and lots of information
about timeservers around the world, and other fun stuff.

	http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/time.html

Follow the links from

	http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ntp.html

to find lists of statum 1 and stratum 2 timeservers.  Unless you need
sub-millisecond accuracy (which you're unlikely to get over the Internet
anyway) it's most polite to use stratum 2 servers.

Have fun,

Avery