Re: wxgtk: Is this free software?

Richard Braakman wrote:
> There are two packages involved here: wxxt, which is already in main,
> and wxgtk, which was a new package uploaded to Incoming.  They have
> the same license.  I read the license while checking wxgtk, and
> brought it up here, and it's the wxxt license which has now changed.
> I guess wxgtk will follow shortly.  (They may be the same package
> upstream, I don't know about that.)

Actually, wxxt is version 1 of the wxWindows library, while wxgtk is
version 2.  And it's just the wxgtk that had the problems.  wxxt is
licensed under a combination of LGPL, XFig, and AIAI licenses (AIAI
attached.  This might or might not be DFSG free, but I think it is).
wxgtk was the one that had that screwy abomination of a license.

Also, the current talk on the wxwin-developer list is to go straight
LGPL.  I will definitely encourage them to go this route.

> Brian Bassett said it was coincidence that the license was brought up
> on the wxwindows list at the same time that I brought it up on
> debian-devel, but I doubt that :) More likely, someone brought it up
> there because it was being discussed here.

Probably.

> Properly, wxxt should now be moved to non-free until it's uploaded
> with the license, but no-one has filed a bug for that yet (and I can't
> be bothered :).  Brian, how soon do you expect to make a new upload?

I will start a new compile of wxgtk when I get home tonight, destined
for non-free.  I'll upload as soon as I've done a few tests.  wxxt
shouldn't need anything.

> Richard Braakman
>
> --

AIAI license:
                       AIAI copyright notice
                       =====================

Copyright (c) 1995 Artificial Intelligence Applications Institute,
The University of Edinburgh

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided
that the
above copyright notice, author statement and this permission notice
appear in
all copies of this software and related documentation.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS-IS'' AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS,
IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTY OF
ERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

IN NO EVENT SHALL THE ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE APPLICATIONS INSTITUTE OR
THE
UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT
OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING
FROM
LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY
OF
DAMAGE, AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION
WITH
THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.