Re: Changing emacs20 to use latin1 encoding by default.

    YD> Rob Browning writes:
    >> Thoughts?

    YD> Assuming that the current default encoding is ASCII, it could be
    YD> argued that latin1 (which I usually use) is not the only
    YD> superset, and is only valid for several countries.  latin2 or
    YD> UTF8 are others, and people using those would be IMHO more
    YD> confused by seeing texts in their custom encodings wrongly
    YD> displayed as latin1, than displayed as ASCII + escaped chars.

Emacs already sets Latin 1 things in some situations (see
term/linux.el).  Even more, Emacs already partially supports encoding
setting with respect to locales (The Right Way to do so, IMHO), though
you have to include an `iso8859*' part in the appropriate `LC_*'
variable (which makes sense certainly).

So I think no encoding setting is needed and no change should be applied
in the Debian package.  I don't like too "advanced" settings in Debian
packages.

Milan Zamazal