Re: gettext documentation not accurate for Debian?

On Sun, Oct 25, 1998 at 05:08:52PM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:

> However:
>
>   a) There is no libintl.a file in slink, it seems to be included
>      in the main libc nowadays.

So it seems.

>   b) "remove these definitions" will end up in the following errors:
>
>      this.o: In function `main':
>      this.o(.text+0x28): undefined reference to `_'
>
>      Instead you have to turn these definitions into the following in
>      order to get your program compiled.
>
>      #define _(String) (String)
>      #define N_(String) (String)

Hmm, my understanding was that _(String) was just another way to say
gettext(String).  So, you can #define this:

	#define _(String) gettext(String)

And you should be okay.  Now, I've never actually used gettext, so I don't
know if this macro used to be defined, but now isn't in libc6.

In any case, libintl.h certainly doesn't seem to have the _() define
nowadays.  I don't know what N_() does, but perhaps something else in
libintl.h will look right.

Have fun,

Avery