Re: Automated package-popularity survey (was Re: We need easier installation.)

On Sat, Oct 24, 1998 at 03:00:23PM -0500, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> BTW, shouldn't
>
> 	| egrep '/bin/|/sbin/|/usr/games|\.[ah]$' \
> read
> 	| egrep '/bin/|/sbin/|/usr/games|\.[^ah]$' \

No; I want to include .a and .h files, not exclude them.

I would have liked to just use _all_ files in each package for the
comparison, but that doesn't work too well.  dwww goes through doc files,
'menu' goes through /usr/lib/menu files, and ldconfig goes through .so
libraries.  The most reliable files I could find to compare are ones in bin
directories, /usr/games (they should be in a bin directory anyway...), and
static .a libraries / include files.

This includes all binaries, no shared libraries (but they're pulled
in as dependencies), 99% of devel packages, and some doc packages.

It will never be perfect... but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Avery