Re: Automated package-popularity survey (was Re: We need easier installation.)

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> Your installed packages will be listed in order of "most popular" to "least
> popular." Do the results look reasonable to people?  Is it doing anything
> blatantly wrong?  Is this whole concept better than nothing, or worse?
>
> Don't forget to check the file ignored-pkg after running this script, to see
> which packages were on your system but contained no "interesting" files.
> These ones get no rating at all...
>
> Oh, the first two columns are the access time and the attribute-changed
> time.  If the two are very close together, it probably means that dpkg has
> recently upgraded the package, so we don't really know anything about its
> popularity.

Hmm - I ran this:

the numbers don't look very meaningful (they are very large.....)...it
might look nicer if you logged them or something ;)

Anyway, my 'top ten' are:
/bin/cat
/usr/bin/basename
/bin/grep
/usr/bin/find
/bin/rm
/usr/bin/less
/bin/sh
/usr/bin/pico
/usr/bin/xemacs-20.4-nomule
/bin/sash

Pico probably beats xeamcs 'cos a lot of my users like it.

BTW  - any hints as to how that shell script works? I can do C but not
bash... ;(

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo