Re: We need easier installation.

On Fri, Oct 23, 1998 at 06:15:39PM -0400, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 1998 at 10:46:13PM +0100, M.C. Vernon wrote:
> > The problem is: who decides which are the good editors, and which are the
> > good games and the good maths packages.....?
> >
> > vi and emacs are both feature-laden text editors, but most people seem to
> > think that one is wonderful and one is err..... ;)
>
> That is indeed the problem.  Of course, in your example, vi and emacs would
> _both_ have a high rating because they're so popular.  But which vi, and
> which emacs?  There are at least three vi's I know (nvi, elvis, vim) and at
> least three emacsen (emacs19, emacs20, xemacs).  Some of these must be worse
> than others.

I'll tell you which ones to install by default -- any ones as long as
the result is consistent and deterministic.  The key is that new users
don't have to fuss with a decision they don't know enough (yet) to
make and that experienced users who do know can easily override the
default if it doesn't suit them.

David
--
David Engel