Re: master.debian.org net connection sssssslowwwwwww

On Fri 23 Oct 1998, M.C. Vernon wrote:

> It seems to be reasonably, but not horribly slow....
>
> --- master.debian.org ping statistics ---
> 7 packets transmitted, 6 packets received, 14% packet loss
> round-trip min/avg/max = 206.0/213.4/230.2 ms

The roundtrip time is not that bad (I get numbers around 150-200ms),
the killer is that 20-25% of the packets typically get dropped. I see
this because lately I've started to run "ping -i 5 master.debian.org"
in another window while uploading to keep the line up (it hangups after
a minute or so of inactivity). The packets that _do_ get back, get back
within 200ms, but many get lost (and that's bad for TCP connections).

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands