Re: How to change the From: field in bug reports

On Fri 23 Oct 1998, Andreas Tille wrote:

> And, to the other problems of this topic:  I'm really sure
> that the user is able to change the "From:" field, because
> I'm able to configure this in my .pinerc.  No suid things
> should be necessary.

People, /usr/bin/bug is simply a (pretty smart) shell script. Look in
the script to see how to change your "From:" address. I see that it
tests if the environment variable "EMAIL" is set, if so, it uses that
as the "FROM" value; otherwise it uses `id` and digs through /etc/passwd
to get the gecos field and adds @`cat /etc/mailname` to make it fully
qualified.

To those who tried setting EMAIL and it apparently failed: you _did_
remember to export it, I hope...

If all fails, simply copy /usr/bin/bug somewhere else, edit the script
to suit your needs, and use that.  That's what I did to dupload (which
doesn't have any hooks for changing the From: field).

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands