huge lists

We have some lists that are absolutely unmanageable for most
users, like debian-{user,devel}. Digests don't solve it 100%;
reading on the web (in the archives) is a PITA because when I
request a month of debian-devel I get a several-hundred-K,
hardly usable index.

One possible sollution would be to split the archives of these
lists by week and not month - I like this idea.

Another possibility would be a more complex read-it-on-the-web
system like eGroups - check http://www.egroups.com/list/ox-spec/
for a small list, or http://www.egroups.com/list/mhonarc/ for a
big-traffic one.

Please don't answer this with technical issues... let's use
debian-devel only to discuss if this is a Good Thing and we want
it. If we do, those interested move to debian-www (I think, but
maybe somewhere else) and discuss the technical part (even the
question of whether it can be done).

     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls
        and wispered in the sounds of silence
                 pgp key in the web page