Re: Emacs addon packages--compile upon install?

Quoting Davide G. M. Salvetti (salve@debian.org):
> By the way, as a side note, I'd like to suggest other Eapms to _not_
> display the results of byte-compilation on the console at installation
> time, redirecting them to some file instead: it's really annoying to
> see a very long list of probably useless warnings about free variables
> or functions not known to be defined.  However those results are
> useful things to have around on every machine (e.g. to ask the user to
> check them in case a bug is being investigated), so why don't put them
> somewhere they could be easily retrieved if needed?
>
> My packages currently store them in:
>
> /usr/share/emacs/<version>/site-lisp/<package>/CompilationLog.gz
>
> Maybe we can find a standard name and place.

I like this; I agree that having screens of useless messages scroll by
is a distraction, and it also makes it hard to see what's happening in
the install process, because previous packages have scrolled out of the
buffer.

Mike Stone